Re: Invalid HTML-Tags

Jutta Wrage <jw@witch.westfalen.de> (08/10/2005):

> Am 08.10.2005 um 15:23 schrieb Thomas Huriaux:
>
> > Ce d�t est une sorte de d�-vu. Je t'ai d� donn�'exemple du
> > livre
> > <u>Snow Crash</u> (<tag_for_foreign_words>cf.</tag...> mon premier
>
> <u> is invalid html strict, but kinda <tag_for_foreign_words>d�-vu</
> tag..>. in the wml will work fine. That can either create a html tag
> or a span with a class the language should be a parameter.

> the translations
>
> Is it possible to create a wml for that?
>
> It should know about the language, so the word will not be in a span
> in that language?

The use of foreign words is specific to the translation. In my example,
I have translated "see my first mail" by "<foreign_word>cf.</foreign_word>
mon premier courriel".
Another common example is: "the proxy" which will be translated by "le
serveur mandataire (<foreign_word>proxy</foreign_word>)", because in
French, some prefer to use the English word, others prefer to use the
French word.

> For translators it would mean "leave this untranslated, please". If
> the wml tag is in that language the page is created for there will be
> no html tag added to the word.
>
> BTW: Do you really have foreign words underlined in books in french?
> Sounds strange to me. ;-)

No, my example was incomplete. Book titles must be underlined or in
italic, foreign words must be in italic. I admit I don't know what is
the usage for book titles with foreign words :-) But in my example, it
was more the "Book titles" problem which I wanted to show, i.e. it was
in italic, and you replaced the italic (<i>) by quotes (<q>).

> But I can add a class foreignword for now so far. A better solution
> might take a bit more investigation.
>
> .foreignword {
>      font-style: italic; /* default */
> }
> html[lang="fr"] .foreignword {
>      text-decoration: underline;
>     /* font-style: inherit; - if not italic */
> }
>
> Is that a quickfix for the problem?

My last question is: is it really so important to replace all <i> by
something so complicated? If <i> is still valid in XHTML, I think it is
to take in account these cases where italic is required without having a
real sense (and of course, there is not a tag for everything in every
language). For example, if I say
 "Je suis all� Paris <i>via</i> Francfort" (I went to Paris via
 Frankfurt).
/via/ is in my French dictionnary, this sentence is fully right in
strict French, and it has *exactly* the same meaning as:
 "Je suis all� Paris en passant par Francfort"
i.e. there is absolutely no semantic issue on this word but the
typographic usage want us to write /via/ in italic.

Cheers,

--
Thomas Huriaux