Re: New deb mother tongue - proposed solution

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 04:59:41PM -0700, Robin Rowe wrote:
> Thanks, I appreciate your offer and am considering it. Just so I understand,
> exactly what is your role with debian.org? Do you have access (that is,
> passwords) to the server to install patches?

Well, I am one of the "webmasters". We generally don't have sysadmin access
to the computer, but we can tell our admins to install a new package that we
provide, or anything else that requires this.

I assure you, getting the change to go live is the least of our worries,
developing the apache patch is currently the showstopper problem.

> Who are the debian.org webmasters? I couldn't find that information on
> debian.org. It seems quite anonymous. Why is that? Where's the org chart?

http://www.debian.org/intro/organization

Under "Web pages", you'll see the names of the people who are at our
webmaster@ alias, which mostly coincides with the list of people who are
allowed to directly tamper with the web site. :) Many, many more are allowed
to commit changes to the CVS tree, which in turn ends up on the web.

> P.S. Not to be skeptical, it is amazing that it is "implied" Debian will
> (promptly?) install and test any patch offered. Many programmers create
> patches for the Linux kernel and other things that take years to get
> installed and tested.

Well, from what I hear, that's optional features like a better scheduler or
better filesystems. A fix for this problem, which affects a considerable
percentage of our user base is far from optional...

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.