Re: New deb mother tongue - proposed solution

Alfie,

> Because debian.org is more or less the only site that uses
> Content-Negotiation.  There aren't many pages that use that feature,
> unfortunately.  If there were, we wouldn't have to answer the same
> boring questions over and over again :-(

If the IE browser adds * to en-us when requesting languages as you say that
would seem to explain a lot. Likewise, that debian.org is the only
significant user of the Content-Negotiation language feature tells me
something. (Noting that in the Web page you referred to could eliminate some
of the questions that seem to annoy you.)

> Well, and that common default configuration disrespects the content
> negotiation handling.  Go and blame your browser producer, not debian.

Why blame anyone? I'd just like to find the way to fix it.

> The point is still: Your browser defaults stink and are broken.  There's
no need to blame us for that.

I haven't blamed you or anyone. So far I've been trying to simply grasp what
the technical problem is. Thanks to you and the help of others on the list I
think I now understand.

Pointing out to Microsoft that their browser doesn't work as expected sounds
like a good idea. But, lodging a complaint at random with a large company
like Microsoft isn't very productive. Does anyone know the appropriate
person at Microsoft who actually would be responsible for fixing it? Has
anyone asked them if they think this is a bug? Perhaps they see it as a
difference of opinion as to the meaning of the standard?

Even if Microsoft fixes IE tomorrow we still have to contend with millions
of browsers already deployed. Having users reconfigure those one-by-one is
impractical. We need to get the Apache developers involved to treat this as
a special case. It doesn't seem as though it would be hard to modify Apache
to detect that it is dealing with a misconfigured IE browser and do the
right thing anyway. An appropriate patch to the debian.org server would fix
the problem very quickly. Has anyone from Debian talked with the Apache team
about this issue? Does Apache feel it is worth addressing? Since Debian is
the main user of this feature, does it fall to Debian to provide the patch
to Apache?

If my plan is the right course we need to figure out who at Debian, Apache,
and Microsoft need to talk to each other. Does Debian care enough to try to
get it fixed for everyone instead of just doing workaround hacks? Who at
Debian is the person responsible for the smooth working of the
Content-Negotiation language feature?

Cheers,

Robin

P.S. First you accused me of not reading the Web page, now you have accused
me of lacking self-confidence. It is undiplomatic on my part to point out
that you are attacking me personally with some of the things you say, but
objecting to your disrespect does not indicate I lack self-confidence. I
accept your explanation that you don't realize making personal remarks will
tend to be misconstrued.
www.LinuxMovies.org
http://filmgimp.sourceforge.net
www.OpenSourceProgrammers.org