Re: Welcome to DW (was: Re: DW

On Tuesday, 16 August, 2005 at 01:23 +0200, Herman Robak wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:32:35 +0200, Helen Faulkner <helen@debian.org>
> wrote:
>
> >but even so, this kind of comment is not helpfulto the aims of  the DW
> >project.
>
>  It was too terse to make sense, apparently.

No, in my opinion it was perfectly clear and I took it as aggressive.  I
do understand that the escalating discussion here over the last few days
is not the norm in D-W, but just the fact it's gone this far and had this
overall increasingly "unfriendly" tone is disturbing.

I guess I came here expecting it to be more like linuxchix.  For one
thing, I did not understand it's a group primarily for developers rather
than new users.  Instead of a "springboard" into the main Debian group I
thought this would be a place women can ask "stupid" questions without
expecting the terse slaps in response so common on male-dominated
groups.

For another, the name debian-*women* seems a little misleading when such
a large percentage of the more vocal posters appear to be male.  Nothing
personal against any of the men posting; none of them seem to be leering
or making rude noises, but still, it's a bit startling when I was
expecting something else.

Guess that's all I have to say.

julie
...still waiting for her Ubuntu discs to swim the Atlantic...  four
weeks and counting