Re: Welcome to DW (was: Re: DW

On 8/16/05, Helen Faulkner <helen@debian.org> wrote:
> || स्वक्ष || svaksha wrote:
>
> > Does that mean the following..
> > /quote:
> > OK, well in my culture we prefer things to be dealt with head-on; the
> > behavior you describe strikes me as being passive aggressive and
> > manipulative.
> > /unquote,
> > is justified and acceptable on Debian/DW ?
>
> This comment is an unusual one for Debian Women.  The author has clarified that
> she did not intend to be agressive or hurtful.

I did read her clarification. However the above question you quote was
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-women/2005/08/msg00128.html>.

If a newcomer has no rights to speakup then why invite them in the
first place ? Erinn's response was noted and it was left at that.

> It is also unusual for someone to be making repeated negative and untrue
> comments about the Debian Women project without any justification of their
> statements.
>
> I think that it is important to remember that we are all human, and
> miscommunication is an unfortunate fact of life.  Most of us are trying hard to
> make the Debian Women project work for all its participants and for Debian.
> Mostly we are succeeding.  The occasional conflict is, I believe, unimportant in
> the face of what we are actually achieving here.
>
> As for your question about Debian.  The above comment is much milder than some
> of the comments made on Debian mailing lists.  However most communication on the
> lists is friendly and constructive.  If comments like the above, even if they
> were not the norm, would prevent you from working on Debian then maybe you
> should take a look at the archives of some of the mailing lists and decide
> whether Debian is a project you would like to be involved in.  I will also say
> that we would be sorry to lose you from Debian Women and from Debian.  I think
> that you have something to offer that Debian needs, and also that Debian is a
> fantastic project to be involved in, despite it's flaws.

A few days ago I was referring DW to others but now I am not so sure
if I am right.  Also, I would  not like to decide or judge anything on
the basis of what happened in the past for whatever reason.  My
response was restricted to the present specific instance only, which I
(and other newcomers like me) experienced and that would be the sole
basis for my decision.
Without question DW/Debian is a fantastic project (like many others)
and it existed before I joined and will continue to flourish, just as
I will too.
As for this thread or others, I can think of better ways to use my
time and energy.

> Bear in mind that the Debian culture is, like any culture, changing.  The Debian
> Women project is contributing to that change in what I believe to be a very
> positive way.  I believe that we are helping to make Debian a friendier place
> and one where a contributer's social and interpersonal skills are valued as much
> as their technical skills.  I think this is very important for Debian's future,
> and I (and many others) will continue to work towards improving this situation.

True, If anything is permanent it is change.
--
cheers,