Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

Russ Allbery dijo [Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 08:41:59AM -0700]:
> The phrasing of the constitution here is that the 2:1 majority is required
> for decisions that are authorized by the powers of the Technical
> Committee, and I think this sort of policy decision about how to handle
> non-free software is clearly outside the scope of the Technical Committee.
> I can't imagine the TC being comfortable making a decision like this, or
> the project being comfortable having them do it.

I agree with what you say. Wearing my TC hat, I'd say this kind of
issue should be debated and voted by the project, not by the TC. Even
though the role of firmware, or the layout of archive components, are
brought in and somewhat discussed, this is not a vote on technical
issues.