Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

Quoting Tobias Frost (2022-08-22 15:57:01)
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 07:39:21AM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> > Ansgar <ansgar@43-1.org> writes:

> > > No. Just like we don't need to update the Debian Social Contract for
> > > having https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/: we just ship
> > > additional files that might be useful for people having specific
> > > hardware.
> >
> > I disagree -- what is being proposed here is to replace our current
> > DSC-compatible free software installer images with non-free.  That goes
> > significantly further than what the spirit of DSC§5 suggests.
>
> It not being replaced; there are just additional bits in there which
> help people to actually be able to install Debian on some modern machines.
>
> The guarantee in SC1 that we will never *require* those non-free bits, as writen
> out in "We will never make the system require the use of a non-free component."
> This GR does not violate this promise.

I understand how we will not require non-free bits getting *installed*.

The way I see it, with this change we will require non-free bits for
*distribution* of our system, because our official installer will now
include non-gree bits.

 - Jonas