Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> writes:

> I view the official Debian install image as a component of Debian, and
> consequently if the (only) official Debian install image were to contain
> non-free bits then we would violate DSC#1.

I also find this problematic.  As far as I can tell, the alternatives on
this vote that results in Debian shipping non-free software will make
the project violate the current DSC.

Reading https://www.debian.org/devel/constitution.en.html I don't
understand who decides the majority requirements for voting options, can
someone explain?  Is it the project secretary?  What are they for the
current vote?

I believe it would be bad for the project if the supermajority
requirements of changing a fundational document is worked around by
approving a GR vote with simple majority that says things contrary to
what the DSC says.

/Simon