Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

Hey Russ!

On Mon, Aug 29, 2022 at 07:55:11PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
>Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> writes:
>
>> It's my current interpretation that all voting options, even if they
>> might conflict with the DSC, will be on the ballot, and might not
>> require a 3:1 majority. That is, I don't think the Secretary can decide
>> not to include an option that might conflict, or put a 3:1 majority
>> requirement on it because they think it conflicts.
>
>I'm not disagreeing with Kurt's interpretation here, but as a voter I
>would love for one of the proponents of a ballot option to add non-free
>firmware to the installer to state that they are going for a 3:1 majority
>to modify the Social Contract and add an explicit statement to this effect
>to point 5 of the Social Contract.  It would only take a sentence, I
>suspect, something like:
>
>    The Debian installer may include firmware that does not conform to the
>    Debian Free Software Guidelines to enable use of Debian with hardware
>    that requires such firmware.

If you were to propose an alternative to option A that added a 3:1
majority change to patch the SC, I would happily second it. But I
certainly don't personally feel strongly enough about that change to
propose it myself.

"Further comment on how I feel about IBM will appear once I've worked out
 whether they're being malicious or incompetent. Capital letters are forecast."
 Matthew Garrett, http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjg59/30675.html