Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

On 2022-08-23 22:22, Bart Martens wrote:

Debian would recommend the one with non-free-firmware, for the
purposes of enabling users to install on current hardware, but both
would be available.

Do we need to recommend one above the other? I'd rather use some short
explanation per installer to help the user choose.

Maybe we should put the wording on the ballot. Some people may want to be plain factual (this one is 100% free, this one has several non-free bits that may be needed on some hardware), some people may want minimize one (non-free firmware needed in some situations), or the other (non-working installer on most modern hardware). For example, I would vote for the last one. Users may not try the second image if the first one fails because they don't know if their problem may be related.