Re: Re-Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems

On Friday 17 October 2014 05:10 PM, Olav Vitters wrote:
>> > The world isn't just GNOME.
> The issue is bigger than just GNOME. Think of e.g. UPower. There is
> various other software which is affected by this. Requiring people to do
> your bidding is against the Debian social contract. While this is pretty
> much what the GR is about. Seems unrealistic, plus seems you're voting
> on something without knowing any specific ("just GNOME"). If you expect
> upstream/Debian packager teams to take people who cannot bother to
> inform themselves on their topic serious, then geez... good luck but
> you're heading towards a wall.

Not just UPower. UDisks, PolicyKit and many more. And if we don't take a
sensible stand, soon hostname, cron, dns, network, power etc.

In Debian, until the decision in Feb, everything worked with sysvinit.
And then eventually it broke. As we speak today, Udisk + Upower + PolKit
(experimental) does work again.

Buy my point is, things used to work neutrally. Why can't we strive to
do that?

Have the systemd support. I don't think anyone is opposing that. But
don't bring that at the cost of an alternate neutral option.

Why is SysV Init so unacceptable ? It is a neutral init that serves well
for all our sub-projects. Let that be the default choice.

--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com