Reducing the discussion and the voting period to 1 week

Hi,

On 17/10/14 at 08:38 +0100, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> I wonder if, in the circumstances, the DPL should use their power
> under 4.2.4 to reduce the discussion period to 1 week. I'd be
> surprised if anyone is likely to change their view on the desirability
> of choice of init system now - as others have pointed out, the
> arguments have been rumbling on for a time.

I am considering doing that. On the other hand, now that we are going to
vote anyway, I think that we should use this opportunity to clarify the
project's position on this issue, which would not be achieved if FD won.

So, I think that we need alternative proposal(s), and I just put forward
one based on the "Advice: sysvinit compatibility in jessie and multiple
init support" option of the TC resolution on init system coupling.

But designing and tuning alternative proposals might take time, so I
would prefer to wait a few days before reducing the discussion period,
to ensure that we vote with a sensible ballot. I will decide in the
middle of next week about that.

There's also the possibility to use 4.2.3 to reduce the voting period to
one week. Assuming we would be voting over the last week of october or
the first of november, are there strong reasons not to reduce the voting
period to one week? This is a vacation period in some schools in France
and maybe elsewhere, but that is usually not one where many people are
away and offline.

Lucas