Re: Standardization, large scale changes, innovations

On Wed, Mar 31 2010, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>> Now when we upgrade our policies and/or infrastructures, like what was
>>> recently proposed for sha1sums instead, this requires manual updating of
>>> all our packages for no good reason.
>>
>>         That would be the naive way to implement things. And yes, that
>>  would be sillly.
>>
>>         I just update code in one place, test it, and then run a script
>>  that does a git pull for all my packages. The next time I build the
>>  package, it will pull in the change.
>
> Exactly there is the problem. If you'd use dh_md5sums, a binNMU would
> be all that is needed to update your packages (yes, I know that is not
> yet possible for arch:all, but I guess the time will come...). In your
> case we have to wait until you've decided to upload all of your
> packages...

        In either case the final packges depend on someone changing the
 code that generates the md5sum.  /I/ do not have to wait around for
 debheper to be changed, I can get my packages in when I upload the new
 policy package, which has often happened in the past.

        Do we have a concrete case of my packages seriously lagging
 policy or debhelper?

        manoj
--
The new Linux anthem will be "He's an idiot, but he's ok", as performed
byMonthy Python.  You'd better start practicing. -- Linus Torvalds,