Re: Standardization, large scale changes, innovations

On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 14:22 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mercredi 31 mars 2010 à 05:03 -0700, Manoj Srivastava a écrit :
> >         I just update code in one place, test it, and then run a script
> >  that does a git pull for all my packages. The next time I build the
> >  package, it will pull in the change.
> Which is what I already explained in other terms:
>         Your packages are absolutely impossible to maintain by anyone
>         but yourself.

I hear lots of people complaining that we lack ressource, but "everyone"
seems to fight any effort to leverage the de-facto standard and best

Isn't the purpose of industrialization to spend less time in repetitive
tasks and more time in innovative and useful tasks?
Doesn't the Unix philosophy implies that I should reuse tools and code,
rather than re-writing my's own?

Usual question... I wonder if dpkg-dev would be accepted as a standard
if it was invented nowadays? dpkg-dev was invented back in '94, do we
have to stick it "as-is" or can we standardize and industrialize

> > > This doesn’t raise questions about the competence of the newcomer. This
> > > raises questions about the competence of the person who designed the
> > > package.
> >
> >         I am happy you have an opinion. I don't think much of it, but
> >  you are indeed entitled to it.
> I wouldn’t expect you to be able to question your own choices anyway.
> Actually, I shouldn’t be discussing this with you, this is pointless as
> always.

Let's go personal...