Re: Standardization, large scale changes, innovations

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         This is great!! perhaps we can get rid of the abomination that
>  is vi and get everyone to use the one true editor all at once.

I suggest you change your tone. You have the right to not share my point
of view, but there's no need to be sarcastic.

>         What did you say? What difference does it make what tool is used
>  when the result is equal?

It doesn't make a difference for a the end-user, but it makes a difference
to contributors who have to learn a set of tools in order to be able to
contribute on a set of packages. If the set of tools to learn is smaller,
it's easier for the contributor to contribute to more packages and he has
to spend less time learning, time that can be better spent on improving
the package and on fixing bugs.

Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/
My Debian goals: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/09/debian-related-goals-for-2010/