Re: On the "Debian Maintainers" GR

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Yeah, I think I agree with this.  I don't see how being a Debian
> Maintainer is any less being associated with the project than being a
> Debian Developer, and if someone wants to sacrifice their DD rights to
> make a point, well, having to then do things like work through a sponsor
> is what makes it a sacrifice, no?

If that use case was the sole one, I'd not defend this concept.

> My primary worry about this proposal is that it leads to an increasing
> number of packages in the archive that are someone's pet project,

Every useful software is the pet project of someone. :-)

DM don't decide of new packages. It's the sponsor and the ftpmaster team.
It's up to us to restrict what we upload.

> maintained by someone who isn't keeping up with Debian-wide changes, and

Why that ? I expect all DM to be subscribed to d-d-a and would suggest a
check (or even some enforcement with auto-subscription if we really want).

> which have to be chased down every time we do a major transition. I don't
> think adding more package maintainers who aren't connected with what's
> going on with the rest of the project is a great idea.  At least with
> sponsored packages, the sponsor in theory should be paying attention.

That theory doesn't match my experience.

Raphaël Hertzog