Re: On the "Debian Maintainers" GR

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 15:49:52 +0300, Kalle Kivimaa wrote:
> > You do realize that the DM proposal solves other problems than just
> > the "it takes forever for a qualified NM to get upload rights", too?
>
> Not really, no.

- Not everybody wants to be DD. [1]
- Not everybody deserves to be DD. [2]
- Everybody who is able to properly maintain a package according to our
  rules should have the possibility to maintain that package.

Cheers,

[1] They exist, they are not a majority, but I don't see why should refuse
their help.
[2] The NM process rejects some people who have the technical abilities to
maintain packages but who are not in sync with the rest of the community.
I fail to see why we should refuse their technical contribution. The NM
process also scares away people who don't have the technical abilities to
become DD. That doesn't mean they wouldn't be able to maintain some
simple packages.
--
Raphaël Hertzog