Re: On the "Debian Maintainers" GR

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 07:16:34PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > > - Not everybody deserves to be DD. [2]
> >
> > > [2] The NM process rejects some people who have the technical abilities to
> > > maintain packages but who are not in sync with the rest of the community.
> > > I fail to see why we should refuse their technical contribution. The NM
> > > process also scares away people who don't have the technical abilities to
> > > become DD. That doesn't mean they wouldn't be able to maintain some
> > > simple packages.
> >
> > Uh oh?  You want to grant people upload permission who we DOCUMENTATEDLY
> > DO NOT WANT as Debian developer?  How crap is that?
>
> See my reply to Thijs.
>
> Some people are not technically good enough to be full DD (at least as
> long as we'll have the same set of Task&Skills checks).

This is wrong in so many ways.

You don't need a horribly high level of technical skills to be a Debian
Developer.

I could understand not wanting to jump through all the philosophical and
procedural hoops required for becoming a full Developer, and having a
separate procedure for people with the right skills who are interested
in contributing.

But setting up a separate procedure for allowing people who you claim do
not have the right skills to be a developer to upload packages
unsupervised? Huh?!?

> But they are certainly capable of maintaining some packages.
>
> Think of documentation packages for example.

We have at least one DD who's gotten through NM because he wanted to
write documentation, and not maintain packages. I'm sure we can do the
same for people interested in doing artwork.

The NM process is far more flexible than you seem to think.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22