Re: On the "Debian Maintainers" GR

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> about yet. Yes, even the "upstream wants to package his stuff", I'm not
> sure we want to have tuomov-like people arguing with the release team
> about the silliness of stable releases, and for most of the upstreams,
> there is what, 10 uploads a year ? maybe 20 with snapshots.. Well,

How many of our upstreams are Tuomov-like ?
Why do you think that we'll integrate Tuomov-like upstreams as DM ?

I'm sorry but a large majority of our upstream are sane and if I can get
them more involved in Debian, I'm all for it. I've been defending those
ideas for years. In my campaign in 2002, I explained that I would have
liked some document specifically written for upstreams in order to have
better interaction and more involvement from them.
http://www.debian.org/vote/2002/platforms/raphael#message

You have the right to disagree with the various use cases. That's
precisely why we have a vote. I still believe that we're doing a step in
the right direction with this.

> Having people in DM for 10 uploads a year is a _huge_ overkill.

Most DD do that many uploads a year. What about DD being overkill in that
case ? :-)

> FWIW that's the number of packages I upload in a day when I'm doing QA
> work e.g..

I'm sorry but you can't generalize your personal stats to the whole
project (if all DD were active sponsors/AM/QA member like you,
we'd have far less bugs and much less problems with NM ;-)).

>   So while maybe Josselin is lacking some kind of diplomatic way to say
> things but: I've not seen more arguments on Loïc's end either (funny how
> you react about Joss not detailing his arguments and not Loïc), and for
> sure there is equally good arguments against your points as well.

Well, for the record, I haven't appreciated Loïc's rhetorical questions.
But he clearly signed "rhetorical" and only Joss felt the need to fell in
the trap of replying.

Raphaël Hertzog