Re: On the "Debian Maintainers" GR

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> about yet. Yes, even the "upstream wants to package his stuff", I'm not
> sure we want to have tuomov-like people arguing with the release team
> about the silliness of stable releases, and for most of the upstreams,
> there is what, 10 uploads a year ? maybe 20 with snapshots.. Well,

How many of our upstreams are Tuomov-like ?
Why do you think that we'll integrate Tuomov-like upstreams as DM ?

I'm sorry but a large majority of our upstream are sane and if I can get
them more involved in Debian, I'm all for it. I've been defending those
ideas for years. In my campaign in 2002, I explained that I would have
liked some document specifically written for upstreams in order to have
better interaction and more involvement from them.

You have the right to disagree with the various use cases. That's
precisely why we have a vote. I still believe that we're doing a step in
the right direction with this.

> Having people in DM for 10 uploads a year is a _huge_ overkill.

Most DD do that many uploads a year. What about DD being overkill in that
case ? :-)

> FWIW that's the number of packages I upload in a day when I'm doing QA
> work e.g..

I'm sorry but you can't generalize your personal stats to the whole
project (if all DD were active sponsors/AM/QA member like you,
we'd have far less bugs and much less problems with NM ;-)).

>   So while maybe Josselin is lacking some kind of diplomatic way to say
> things but: I've not seen more arguments on Loïc's end either (funny how
> you react about Joss not detailing his arguments and not Loïc), and for
> sure there is equally good arguments against your points as well.

Well, for the record, I haven't appreciated Loïc's rhetorical questions.
But he clearly signed "rhetorical" and only Joss felt the need to fell in
the trap of replying.

Raphaël Hertzog