Re: On the "Debian Maintainers" GR

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Thursday 26 July 2007 16:11, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > [2] The NM process rejects some people who have the technical abilities to
> > maintain packages but who are not in sync with the rest of the community.
> > I fail to see why we should refuse their technical contribution.
>
> You assess that there are people that can't be DD's because of "not being in
> sync" with the rest of the community, but as you probably know the majority
> of our community infrastructure, be it lists, channels, events or the BTS is
> open to and frequented by many non-DD's. How does being a DD or not
> meaningfully restrict the way one can be part of the community?

Well, you should know privileges that DD have compared to non-DD.
Vote right, upload rights, access to machines, etc.

If we refuse NM as DD, it's because they are not in sync at the social
level. Thus we don't want them to be official representant of the Debian
project. And maybe at the same level, we don't trust their judgment
for the various decisions taken by vote.

> Can you give some examples maybe how the DM process would help here?

As you have read, the DM status is mainly about having the right to upload
your own packages. So it helps to have good packages well maintained,
even if their maintainers have been refused as DD.

Note that we're speaking of the minority case here. The other case I
mentioned was maintainers not having the skills to be trusted as full DD
while they could still be trusted for maintaining some simple packages.

Raphaël Hertzog