Re: A question to the Debian community ...

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 10:04:18AM +0300, Kalle Kivimaa wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:
> > The expulsion procedure calls for such statements to be sent to both the
> > DAMs and to -private.  So it's reasonable to discount mails from developers
> > who didn't follow directions, isn't it?
>
> Yes. OTOH the procedure also calls for such statements to contain
> (new) reasoning for or against the expulsion. I didn't have anything
> new to add to the reasonings (either for or against) so, as per the
> procedure, I didn't send a "me too!" email. So, counting the
> statements on -private only tells us that X developers were for it
> and Y against. We cannot say that X/(X+Y) of all developers were for
> and Y/(X+Y) against.

Which is why the procedure is defective, and which is why i don't
consider it as anything else than the decision of two persons, who
drafted a procedure to justify themselves.

Let's reform this procedure, so the decision can only be taken by a full
(semi-private) GR-like vote, so as to remove any trace of subjectivity
and possible accusation of manipulation, or behind the scene shady
dealings.

In particular this procedure is the equivalent of a verbal lynch mob,
where the party who is able to say the more agressive and insulting
thing about the expulsee is the one who wins, independently of these
things being true, misguided, or pure manipulations and lies.

Furthermore, any expulsion request should be preceded by a true
mediation effort, and the fact that this current event has gone so far
is proof of the failure of debian and the deficiency of the procedure.
And the circumstances of it, the length of it, the full one-sidedness of
all the powerful who where involved in it, the hints of blackmail by the
d-i team, are what makes this case most probably the most shameful thing
which ever happened in debian.

Saddened,

Sven Luther