Re: Candidate questions: expulsions process

Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
> No need - Mark Ray did so earlier in the week.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I think
http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2006/03/msg00269.html
was disliked, because there was a sudden surge in posting
frequency, which many people do when annoyed and that's a
hard habit to break.

Can all see why I think telling someone their opinion is wrong and
irrelevant is an objection to the belief rather than the manner?
If the manner was annoying, criticise the manner. In football
terms: play the ball, not the player!

> Andrew's a Discordian - to the extent that anything can be said about
> their beliefs (it's not a terribly structured religion), I think it
> seems reasonably accurate.  "The Discordian death is a brain
> re-dis-alignment: new shocks and struts!" hardly makes it sound like a
> bad thing.

If you generalise from the label despite the specific statements
by the individual, you'll make all sorts of bad assumptions,
even for far more structured religions. For example, all the
christian writings about heaven hardly suggest that people
should be very upset by death (for example, "...for the hour
is coming, in which all that are in the graves shall hear
his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good,
unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil,
unto the resurrection of damnation." in Gospel of John 5:28 on,
verse numbering and exact wording may vary by edition) but most
are very upset by death and view it as a sad thing, in my
experience. I don't believe it's because all of them think that
the deceased did evil and is off to hell.

By the way, as a mechanic's son, I see needing new *struts*
as a sign of probably either old age, defects or abuse and
not something to be celebrated. YMMV.

Hope that explains,
--
MJR/slef