[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

General Resolution or Technical Committee's decision? (was: Ready to vote on 2004-003?)

Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:

> On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 10:30:34PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
>> Scripsit Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au>
>> > The decision's delegated to the technical ctte; if you want to know
>> > which GRs will ensure they will make the decision you want you'll need
>> > to ask them.
>> Brfore you said that you had delegated the matter to the technical
>> committee *or* the developers, by general resolution.
> No, I don't have any ability to delegate things to the developer body
> as a whole. But the developer body as a whole do have the ability to
> overrule both myself (4.1.3) and the tech ctte (4.1.4), without me saying
> or doing anything.

Anthony, we're going in circles. The developer body is preparing a GR in
order to overrule your decision (some proposals at least). Obviously, a

"We declare the RM's statement in <message@id> to be overruled"

is not sufficient. We need a couple of more words for that. We are
currently discussing which wording would be best. Among other things,
your view on it is an important piece of information. When we ask you
for this view, you refuse to, saying that it's the TC that will rule.

For political reasons, I would prefer to settle this by a GR, not by a
decision of the GR. Which seems to me to only be possible if you express
your view on the matter. 

A GR which would not make things clear enough, so that a TC decision is
still needed, is, hm, suboptimal. But if it is necessary...


Although Anthony seems to have contradicted himself in the same mail,
the only clear message from him that I could figure out was: He will
delegate the decision to the Technical Committee, anyway.

So, shouldn't we ask the Technical Committee for a decision on the
matter first, before discussing what and when to vote? If the TC decides
that sarge will be released with an exception, we do not need any of the
sarge-specific GRs that have been proposed. What we still need to decide
is whether we want a general procedure for such changes (Proposal E),
and probably whether we want to revert the SC (Proposal D). But these GR
could then be discussed and voted on without the pressure of the feeling
that sarge's release relies on them.

If the Technical Committee decides that sarge cannot be released with
the old release policy under the current SC, we will have to vote on all
proposed resolutions. However, this will not significantly slow down
sarge's release (should an exception finally be accepted by GR), since
the TC could be asked to decide on the effect of the proposals in
advance (possibly even before voting starts).

What do you think about this?

Frank Küster, Biozentrum der Univ. Basel
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie

Reply to: