Re: Ready to vote on 2004-003?

Scripsit Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au>

> Uh, the question at hand is whether "main is free from non-DFSG-free
> things that aren't programs or licenses" needs to be true for sarge to
> release. And I've delegated that question to the tech ctte.

> No, I will not be making the aformentioned decision. I've delegated it
> to the tech ctte. If they choose not to make the decision either, and
> the GR doesn't make the decision clear either, then I've no idea what'll
> happen.

You have been asked whether (and which) one of the proposed GR's will
make the decision sufficiently clear to you that you will not need to
have the tech-ctte decide explicitly.

You are still not answering that.

> That's nice. I've repeatedly told people that asking me questions isn't
> the right way to resolve this issue.

The sub-issue at hand is how you will act in the precense of one of
the proposed GRs. For finding out that, asking you is the *only* way.

> > You are forcing everyone else's votes to be based on imperfect
> > information.

> No, I'm not: my opinion on this issue is _utterly irrelevant_.

And we are not asking about your *opinion* of how the vote ought to
come out.

We're asking about a *fact*, namely how your actions in the role you
fill will be influenced by each outcome of the vote.

  If proposal A wins the vote with the required supermajority, will
  you then consider the "question at hand" you posed above answered
  clearly enough as "no" that you can implement this even in the
  absence of a formal decision by the tech ctte?

  If proposal B wins the vote with the required supermajority, will
  you then consider the "question at hand" you posed above answered
  clearly enough as "no" that you can implement this even in the
  absence of a formal decision by the tech ctte?

  If proposal C wins the vote with the required supermajority, will
  you then consider the "question at hand" you posed above answered
  clearly enough as "no" that you can implement this even in the
  absence of a formal decision by the tech ctte?

  If proposal D wins the vote with the required supermajority, will
  you then consider the "question at hand" you posed above answered
  clearly enough as "no" that you can implement this even in the
  absence of a formal decision by the tech ctte?

  If proposal E wins the vote with the required supermajority, will
  you then consider the "question at hand" you posed above answered
  clearly enough as "no" that you can implement this even in the
  absence of a formal decision by the tech ctte?

> If you wish to rely on my opinions,

We don't. We wish to rely on facts. Some of the facts that we wish to
rely on are the answers to the above five questions. You have those
facts. We don't. Asking you is the only way to get those facts.

> The correct phrasing is "A part of the project thinks it's best to release
> on the original timescale [...]". This is not about me.

It is about the release. You are the one who are going to do the
release.

> If what you're saying isn't clear, I'll be happy to discuss it with
> you until it is.

That seems to be exactly what you are refusing to do now. You won't
even tell us whether it is or is not clear.

> What's left is to make two decisions. One is "Should the social contract
> be changed (again)". The other is "What should the release policy be,
> given the social contract". Obviously the answer to the latter may
> change depending on the answer to the former. I'll not be making either
> decision, no matter how many times you request it, or what message you
> try to send.

Does that mean that the answer to each of the five questions above is
uniformly "no"?

> Actually, that's not quite true; the reason I'm not willing to be
> particularly involved in these decisions is the personal attacks I've
> received as a consequence of my participation to date, and the way folks
> -- including yourself in the message I'm replying to -- are so heavily
> focussed on setting me up to take the fall for any problems.

Nonsense. Asking the five easy factual questions above does not equal
"setting you up to take a fall". I cannot even see which possible,
likely or unlikely, fall you are referring to.

--
Henning Makholm                               "... popping pussies into pies
                                                      Wouldn't do in my shop