Re: GR: Removal of non-free (with explanation)

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 02:04:30AM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > Sure they can -- General Resolutions are the mechanism of last resort for
> > deciding what happens in Debian.
> No. That is divided between GRs and the technical committee, and this
> falls squarely under the purview of tech-ctte.

GRs can overrule any decision the tech ctte makes -- that's 4.1(4).

> I don't believe that is an accurate reading of the constitution. It
> carefully evades permitting GRs on technical policy, instead giving
> that problem to tech-ctte (and the reasons for that are fairly
> obvious). I don't think that trying to find exploitable loopholes in
> the wording is a good idea.

There's nothing stopping a GR that resolves to overrule any decision
to be made by a delegate or the tech ctte that's against the wishes of
the developer body. And it's a fair more sensible and efficient method
to decide what to do about things on a single GR, in advance of doing
things, than to give no suggestion on what you want to have done, but
throw some threats about what might happen if people do the wrong thing.

Cheers,
aj

               Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we can.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004