Re: GR: Removal of non-free (with explanation)

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 06:09:31PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > If it happens, and you don't like it, you can blame yourself for not making
> > what you want clear before passing the GR. *shrug*
> There is nothing that can be done before passing the GR that will
> affect this. Decisions that are not part of the resolution have no
> force, and a GR can't make technical decisions.

Sure they can -- General Resolutions are the mechanism of last resort for
deciding what happens in Debian. If you're feeling pedantic, consider it
to be falling under the clause that allows the developer body to override
any decision made by any delegate. There's nothing that requires the
decision to have already been made before it's trumped by the developers.

> All that we can do is hope that the people in positions of
> responsibility will behave responsibly, and replace them if they
> don't.

It might be all you are doing, or all you're willing to do; but it's a
long way off all you can do. Offering informal guidelines and gaining
the consensus of the developer body informally is another option, eg.

Allowing bad things to happen then hoping you can clean up after them is
stupid whether it's a security policy or a management strategy. And while
there's no chance that the ftp admins will do anything they consider to be
particularly bad, that's not going to stop them from doing anything you
consider bad, especially if you refuse to work out what you'd consider
to be reasonable in advance.

Cheers,
aj

               Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we can.