Re: GR: Removal of non-free (with explanation)

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 05:16:48PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 06:09:31PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > > If it happens, and you don't like it, you can blame yourself for not making
> > > what you want clear before passing the GR. *shrug*
> > There is nothing that can be done before passing the GR that will
> > affect this. Decisions that are not part of the resolution have no
> > force, and a GR can't make technical decisions.
>
> Sure they can -- General Resolutions are the mechanism of last resort for
> deciding what happens in Debian.

No. That is divided between GRs and the technical committee, and this
falls squarely under the purview of tech-ctte.

> If you're feeling pedantic, consider it
> to be falling under the clause that allows the developer body to override
> any decision made by any delegate. There's nothing that requires the
> decision to have already been made before it's trumped by the developers.

I don't believe that is an accurate reading of the constitution. It
carefully evades permitting GRs on technical policy, instead giving
that problem to tech-ctte (and the reasons for that are fairly
obvious). I don't think that trying to find exploitable loopholes in
the wording is a good idea.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |