Re: Some questions for the DPL candidates

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 08:41:30PM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:

> what is it about "do you intend to take any action?" that is too complex
> for a yes/no answer?

i think the wording of the question is bad.

two possible alternates:

1) do you support the removal of non-free?
	to determine the candidate's stance on the issue

-or-

2) will you attempt to get the issue finally resolved during your term?
	to determine the canditate's willingness to take action

let's say i support the keeping of non-free, but i, as DPL, bring it up for a
general vote. if the vote went ``remove non-free'', then i would have
had taken action to remove non-free. i would be able to answer the first
question with a ``no'' but the second question with a ``yes.''

> it's a really simple and straight forward question. either there is an
> intention to take action ("yes"), or there is not ("no").

--- craing sanders wrote ---

do you intend to take any action to have non-free removed from the
debian archives? (this is a yes or no question, but feel free to make
comments after answering yes or no).
--- end quote ---

if i say yes, then i support the removal of non-free.
if i say no, then i wish to avoid this hot-topic altogether.

this is a ``have you stopped [insert really bad thing] yet?'' question
after all.

> normal politicians give me the shits, which is *precisely* why i want a
> clear and direct answer to the question.

i agree with this sentiment, however your question did force the
candidate into the position of waffling.

-john