Re: Some questions for the DPL candidates

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 09:56:30AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Craig asked Branden:
> > > do you intend to take any action to have non-free removed from the
> > > debian archives? (this is a yes or no question, but feel free to make
> > > comments after answering yes or no).

> > > Have you stopped beating random kids on the street? (I *only* need an
> > > yes or a no, it's an direct question, it shouldn't be hard)
> > if you think that there's some similarity between a "have you stopped
> > beating your wife?" type question and the question that i asked branden,
> > then you are many times more stupid than your messages so far have
> > indicated.
>
> It seemed the same sort of question to me too.

there was no "damned if you do, damned if you don't" trap in the
question. i am not trying to "trap" branden, i am trying to find out
what his intentions are and what, if any, action he will take on the
issue.

it was a direct question requiring a direct answer.

given that he is a candidate for DPL and is also an employee of a
company whose major product is based on debian, and that every employee
who has commented on the issue has come out strongly in favour of
dumping non-free (in fact, the issue was originally raised by an
employee of that same company) then i think this is a legitimate and
important question that needs answering.

> It's not obvious what the right or honest answer is, and it doesn't
> really apply to the situation.

the honest or direct answer is to state what his intentions are. there
is no "right" answer, as that's a matter of preference.

> What's the weight of a fully laden swallow? Just answer yes or no, but
> you can add other comments later.

that question does not have a yes or no answer. my question "do you
intend to take any action...." was constructed specifically so that it
would have a yes or no answer.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

      GnuPG Key: 1024D/CD5626F0
Key fingerprint: 9674 7EE2 4AC6 F5EF 3C57  52C3 EC32 6810 CD56 26F0