Re: masked service file

On Thu 02 Sep 2021 at 17:05:10 +0100, mick crane wrote:

> On 2021-09-02 16:22, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 02, 2021 at 04:13:34PM +0100, mick crane wrote:
> > > I'll just presume you are grumpy because you have had the jab.
> >
> > Please stop.
> >
> > Take a breath.  In.  Out.
> >
> > Now: what is the problem you're experiencing?  Start with a high level
> >
> > After that introduction, give the background information.  Tell us what
> > version of Debian you're using, what model the scanner is (assuming it's
> > a scanner problem), and what software you've installed to try to make
> > it work.
> >
> > After that, tell us the *specific* details about your problem.  What
> > actions are you taking, and what results do you get?  Tell us the exact
> > commands you're running, and paste their actual output into the email.
> > If there are relevant log file snippets, paste those into the email.
> >
> > (I understand that identifying which information is relevant is an art
> > form.  Mistakes are OK.  Do your best, and if someone asks for more
> > information, be prepared to include that in a follow-up email.)
>
> my original question was a request for self help information as to why a
> service would be masked.

You have been given the reason for the masking: saned.service is an
empty file. See the manual for systemd.unit.

  If a unit file is empty (i.e. has the file size 0) or is
  symlinked to /dev/null, its configuration will not  be loaded
  and it appears with a load state of "masked", and cannot be
  activated. Use this as an effective way to fully disable a unit,
  making it impossible to start it even manually.

The masking is intentional. It is by design. Your question is a
decent one, but understanding why it isn't of any consquence to
managing the saned service needs to be grasped.

> I'm guessing that masking saned service is part of scanbd installation
> because of using inetd or something.

It is nothing to do with inetd. saned.service is not intended to be
used for managing saned. That is the job of saned.socket (in
conjunction with saned@service).

  systemctl stop saned.socket
  systemctl start saned.socket

> As previously mentioned I was getting so many error messages (Bookworm) that
> I couldn't fathom that reverted installation to Bullseye and everything so
> far is working again.
> Which is what we want.
> mick

Regarding Greg Wooledge's exhortations to provide information about
an issue: You were asked explicity to provide some; you never did.
As it happens, I do not think the problems you have encountered
have anything to do with saned. You have picked the wrong target.

--
Brian.