Re: masked service file

On 2021-09-01 15:15, Brian wrote:
On Tue 31 Aug 2021 at 23:15:22 +0100, Brian wrote:

On Tue 31 Aug 2021 at 15:27:13 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 07:54:43PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> >
> > The OP doesn't say whether he can scan or or not.
> >
> > He could give the name of the scanner he is using and what is given
> > by
> >
> >   scanimage -L
>
> It would also be nice to see "systemctl status <servicename>".

And even

 systemctl status saned.socket

 and

 systemctl status saned@.service

* saned is socket activated.
* saned@.service manages saned instances.
* saned.service is masked because it is an empty file.
* The file is empty to allow all instances to be managed together.

I reinstalled the OS because I didn't like the LVM and also I wanted it to be EFI and not BIOS. So thought I'd install Bookworm as I'm about it, got loads of errors purging saned and scanbd, trying to get scanning to work again, something about files not really being files.
I gave up and have reinstalled Bullseye as I know that works.
It's only a day to put everything back as I like, or maybe a bit more.
My original question was why do things get masked.
"Systemctl status the-service" was saying it's masked because it's masked which is not very informative but it must be a nightmare for the maintainers to cover all eventualities.

mick
--
Key ID    4BFEBB31