Re: masked service file

On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 04:06:37PM +0100, mick crane wrote:
> On 2021-09-01 15:15, Brian wrote:
> > * saned is socket activated.
> > * saned@.service manages saned instances.
> > * saned.service is masked because it is an empty file.
> > * The file is empty to allow all instances to be managed together.

Sounds informative.  Maybe thie Brian person knows a thing or two about
saned and you should consider listening.

> I reinstalled the OS because I didn't like the LVM and also I wanted it to
> be EFI and not BIOS.
> So thought I'd install Bookworm as I'm about it, got loads of errors purging
> saned and scanbd, trying to get scanning to work again, something about
> files not really being files.
> I gave up and have reinstalled Bullseye as I know that works.
> It's only a day to put everything back as I like, or maybe a bit more.

Backstory.  Probably irrelevant.

> My original question was why do things get masked.

Because the package maintainer thought it was a good idea, or because
you, the system administrator, thought it was a good idea.

You seem to think you can ask some kind of generic meta-question about
masking and get a meaningful answer.

You can't.

You need SPECIFIC information about a SPECIFIC situation.

YOUR situation.

Pretending that the details of your situation don't matter is ludicrous.

> "Systemctl status the-service" was saying it's masked because it's masked

YOU CANNOT FUDGE THE SERVICE NAMES IN YOUR REQUESTS FOR HELP!

Show the ACTUAL command you ran.  Show its ACTUAL output.

> which is not very informative but it must be a nightmare for the maintainers
> to cover all eventualities.

Well, what do you EXPECT?

Do you think your init system has some way to know WHY it was given a
command?  And that it stores these reasons somewhere, and can cough them
up on demand?

Do you ask your shell why the user typed "ls /tmp"?  What do you expect
the shell to do -- guess the user's intentions?

Do you ask your email program why someone sent you a piece of email?

Do you ask your web browser why the URL you tried to visit has a 404 error?

"Why" is not generally a thing that computer programs understand.