QEMU guests can ping but can't access host

Good day,

I have recently installed Debian testing around its alpha release state. Previously I had a working Windows 10 QEMU guest with access to the host Samba shares in a previous Debian testing install. I copied the Windows 10 disk image over to the new Debian install and set it up to run again but it no longer could connect to the host. It can ping it and the host responds to the ping but any access attempt to the host on a TCP port is dropped. This too happens to any new virtual machine I create from scratch, including Linux VMs. I have no idea what has changed on the host. I suspect it may be the firewall but I'm no network admin and I know very little outside of network-manager and /etc/network/interfaces.

I use virtual machine manager to create and run my virtual machines.

Please help and thank you for reading.