Re: Debian stable + backports + testing

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 07:19:14AM -0700, Peter Ehlert wrote:

> On 8/28/21 5:35 PM, Yoann LE BARS wrote:
> > Hello everybody out there!
> >
> > On 2021/08/29 at 02:26 am, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > > That said, Dan's advice is quite solid: have your mixed environment in a
> > > VM, chroot, or other virtual environment.  When it gets into an unusable
> > > state (it very likely will at some point, especially as testing further
> > > diverges from stable), you can wipe it clean and start over.
> > 	So, here is the way I get it: use Debian stable + backports as the
> > system basis.
> Stability is really important for me.
> I am more conservative and I Don't use Backports*. Stable Only.
>
> my experimenting is done on other machines or separate systems (multi-boot)

Echoing this: if stability is important: use stable - currently Debian 11.
If everything works, fine.

Exceptionally: if your machine is too new for stable, then you might need
a backports kernel or similar.

If you want to do ANYTHING else: do it on a separate machine / in a VM.
That way - you have "vanilla" stable which is easily debugged.
You have stable+backports in a VM [unless you have the case where you
need backported kernel/firmware for basic booting] and you have anything
else in a separate VM, maybe.

Don't make a FrankenDebian unless you absolutely must and you're sure
what you've done to get there and can undo changes.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater