Re: Debian stable + backports + testing

On 8/28/21 5:35 PM, Yoann LE BARS wrote:
Hello everybody out there!

On 2021/08/29 at 02:26 am, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
That said, Dan's advice is quite solid: have your mixed environment in a
VM, chroot, or other virtual environment.  When it gets into an unusable
state (it very likely will at some point, especially as testing further
diverges from stable), you can wipe it clean and start over.
	So, here is the way I get it: use Debian stable + backports as the
system basis.
Stability is really important for me.
I am more conservative and I Don't use Backports*. Stable Only.

my experimenting is done on other machines or separate systems (multi-boot)

*clipped from the Debian Wiki (https://wiki.debian.org/Backports)

"Backports are recompiled packages from testing (mostly) and unstable (in a few cases only, e.g. security updates), so they will run without new libraries (wherever it is possible) on a stable Debian distribution. It is recommended to pick out single backports which fit your needs, and not to use all backports available."
For cutting edge tests, use a virtual machine in which,
well, any adventurous experiment needed can be done, as it can be thrown
away any time.

	Well, it seems quite reasonable. Thank you for the advice!

	Best regards.