Re: Debian stable + backports + testing

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 02:05:44AM +0200, Yoann LE BARS wrote:

> Hello everybody out there!
>
> On 2021/08/29 at 01:25am, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > You can do this. If I didn't care much about the long-term
> > usability of the machine, I would do this.
>
> 	In other word, this is really not recommended, am I right?
>
> 	Well, the thing is I do care of long-term usability of the machine …
>
> 	Best regards.

Definitely, mixing stable + (anothing other than official backports)
risks causing significant damage to the system:
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

That said, Dan's advice is quite solid: have your mixed environment in a
VM, chroot, or other virtual environment.  When it gets into an unusable
state (it very likely will at some point, especially as testing further
diverges from stable), you can wipe it clean and start over.

Just don't do it on your main workstation or server outside of some
virtual environment.

Regards,

-Roberto

--