Re: Replacement Email Client

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 11:42:20 -0700 (PDT)
didier gaumet <didier.gaumet@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le dimanche 25 octobre 2020 à 19:00:08 UTC+1, Patrick Bartek a écrit :
>
> > Already have Dillo set up, but I need more than a viewer. I want a
> > client that handles HTML as well as plain text emails, so I don't
> > have to login into the mail account via a browser to interact with
> > the email.
>
> I just tested the dillo plugin: I do not know if it is sufficient for
> your usage but after setting the plugin up, I was able to click on
> the links into the emails and most (not all) images were displayed

I have Dillo configured NOT to show images initially. Do that for
security. Reloading page usually brings them up. It will follow some
links to other pages, but for viewing purposes only. One cannot
interact and transmit data as I need to.  I have to use a real browser
for that. And that means logging in through the browser to that
particular email account.

> [...]
> > I installed Balsa in Devuan Beowulf which I'm testing, and it only
> > installed a few libraries. Don't know if the same is true with
> > Buster. I'm still evaluating it. No opinion as yet. Wasn't able to
> > get it to receive mails, but could send. Probably an erroneous
> > setting somewhere. It was late.
>
> Just tested Balsa here (Buster+Gnome): I could read my emails but
> HTML was not rendered

Probably a missed setting somewhere.  But the more I look at Balsa, the
more I think it's just, for all practical purposes, a clone of
Claws-Mail.  I could be wrong.  We'll see.  Installing it for the third
try after purging it twice.

> If Claws HTML  rendering with the Dillo plugin is not satisfying
> enough for you, I fear you will need a heavy client like Thunderbird,
> Evolution or Kmail...

Oh, I hope not!!