Re: Replacement Email Client

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 01:51:43 -0700 (PDT)
didier gaumet <didier.gaumet@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le dimanche 25 octobre 2020 à 01:10:06 UTC+2, Patrick Bartek a écrit :
> > Hi! All,
> >
> > Looking for recommendations for a lightweight email client that
> > will handle HTML as well as plain text to replace Claws-Mail. Have
> > been using Claws-Mail for years and before it Sylpheed. Claws used
> > to have a basic HTML plugin renderer which was sufficient, but
> > latest version does not.
>
> It seems that in the past, Debian provided the
> claws-mail-fancy-plugin package (a GTK2 HTML viewer). That is no
> longer the case but Debian is now providing  the
> claws-mail-dillo-viewer (a Dillo HTML viewer), and in addition to

Already have Dillo set up, but I need more than a viewer.  I want a
client that handles HTML as well as plain text emails, so I don't have
to login into the mail account via a browser to interact with the email.

> this, from Bulleye on, will be providing the
> claws-mail-litehtml-viewer package (a HTML viewer based on the
> litehml library).
> https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=all&section=all&arch=any&searchon=all&keywords=claws+html
>
> So, apparently, you do not need to replace claws-mail

Probably, I do.  Just a viewer plugin is insufficient.  Been using
viewers for years.  Time to move on.  Or, maybe, an interactive HTML
interpreter plugin?

> [...]
> > Both Thunderbird and Balsa have been rejected as T'bird is a
> > behemoth and no longer in development; and with Balsa, I don't want
> > to have to deal with GNOME-systemd, etc. dependencies. (I don't run
> > GNOME anyway, only a window manager Openbox, and use sysvinit and
> > not systemd as init.)
> [...]
>
> - As others have already stated, Thunderbird is still in development
> - I somewhat doubt installing Balsa will draw on any real Gnome or
> Systemd stuff
> https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=all&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=balsa

I installed Balsa in Devuan Beowulf which I'm testing, and it only
installed a few libraries.  Don't know if the same is true with Buster.
I'm still evaluating it. No opinion as yet. Wasn't able to get it to
receive mails, but could send. Probably an erroneous setting somewhere.
It was late.

Thanks for your input.