Re: aptitude safe-upgrade vs apt-get upgrade.

Hi,

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 17:53:16 -0500
"R. Ramesh" <rramesh@verizon.net> wrote:

(...)

> Nothing fancy. Installed debian 10 from USB and added multi-media and
> installed mythfrontend. That is all I have done.
> This is a NUC Pentium (N3700) box and not fancy at all.  Here is my
> kernel

(...)

> My apt-get/aptitude output showed clear differences between the two.
> So, I am not convinced about your claim that they should do the same
> thing on a stable release unless stable release itself was broken when
> installing with debian-10.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso.

it looks like what happens here is that the upgrade would replace
installed versions of multimedia related packages from buster with those
from deb-multimedia. Obviously apt-get and aptitude do not agree how to
handle this situation. Installing those packages requires obviously to
replace for example libcdio18 with libcdio19, which apt-get won't do with
the "apt-get upgrade" command.
I believe that most likely the root of the problem is, that no
apt-pinning rule is defined for the deb-multimedia repo.

To resolve this, you might consider to create a file
like e.g. /etc/apt/preferences.d/multimedia .

Here the content of that file looks like:

Package: *
Pin: release o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,n=buster
Pin-Priority: 332

Package: *
Pin: release o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages,n=buster-backports
Pin-Priority: 331

with the respective entries in my sources.list:

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org buster main non-free
deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org buster-backports main non-free

This should ensure that no such "accidental" upgrades will occur.

Regards

Michael

Lots of people drink from the wrong bottle sometimes.
		-- Edith Keeler, "The City on the Edge of Forever",
		   stardate unknown