Re: Homebuilt NAS Advice

On 8/6/2020 10:36 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
	If I were one to use a laptop - which I most certainly do not -

I think that's why you don't consider it unthinkable to carry around
such a thing along with your laptop.

I carried around a 90 lb tool case everywhere for nearly 20 years. I've carried luggables that weighed almost 20 lbs. I've lugged 60 lbs of SCUBA gear all over creation. A laptop and a couple of small boxes is nothing. I don't carry a laptop because it is nearly impossible to get any work done on a laptop. If I did, I would certainly carry a full sized keyboard - probably a roll-up, a decent mouse, and a power brick.

What you're suggesting looks like the following to me:
- I go to my favorite caf?? to work for the afternoon [ ah, the good ol'
   days before covid!  ]

I *NEVER* take work anywhere but work. When I eat, I eat. I don't even answer my cell phone. When I sleep, I sleep, and ditto. When I watch a movie, I watch a movie. 'No distractions, no matter what I am doing. The only thing I do in the office other than work is drink water. When I take a break, I go in the other room.

- I take out my laptop

Which of course, is dead. That's OK, though because I immediately get out my power brick and plug in my laptop, and my phone, which is also nearly dead. Then I get out my keyboard, then my mouse, then my headphones.

- I start to wo.... oh no, wait, I forgot, I also have to:
- take out my RAID disk

	Yep.  Oh, how strenuous.

- plug it in
- notice that it needs power
- take out its power adapter

Nope, I just plug it into the same brick that powers the laptop and is charging my phone.

- look around to see where on earth I'm going to plug it
- wonder why I bother carrying a laptop with a battery if my drive needs
   a power outlet

Then I wonder why I am carrying around a laptop with a single minuscule screen, sitting in an uncomfortable chair in a place with glacial internet, a lot of noise, and an HVAC system set at who knows what temperature, when what is really needed is a system with two 32 inch monitors, a minimum of 8 processors running at least 4GHZ, and 32G of RAM. Why sit in such a place when I can sit in great comfort in a padded chair where I control the cooling and all the sounds, and where I can yell as loud as I like at vendors.

Oh, and I don't eat at cafe's. If I go out, it is to a restaurant, and it is always with friends, or sometimes business associates.

	I wouldn't carry the array around, however.  It would sit either at
	home or at work (one and the same, for me) and I would access it
	through the internet.

So we're back at square one: your laptop wouldn't have a RAID drive and
neither your root partition nor your $HOME files would be protected
by RAID.

The root partition doesn't need to be. Simple backups are OK for that, although if I did ever use a laptop for work, it would have a RAID 1 boot drive, just like the rest of my desktop computers. Plus, $HOME would be on a RAID array separate from the / source device, just like my other computers.

BTW, if you care about RAID and about having a laptop, there are many
good options out there for laptops that can take two internal drives
(either 2x 2??" or 2x M.2 or a mix of the two).

	I know that.  This does not prevent one from having an external array.