Re: Homebuilt NAS Advice

On Mon, Aug 03, 2020 at 04:59:22PM -0500, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
I concur. One area in wich I disagree is your decision not to employ RAID. As you very properly comment in the linked page, RAID is not a backup. They are *VERY* different things. Therefore both,in my estimation, are absolutely required.

Reading your message I'm fairly sure you agree that I understand the
difference between RAID and backup, but I'm not sure whether you mean
that for *your* needs, RAIDS is essential (fine, no objection there), or
that given your understanding of *my* needs you disagree that *I* don't
need RAID.

In brief my rationale is: without RAID, when a drive failure occurs I
lose access to my NAS until I've replaced the drive and restored the
files. I judge that the inconvenience of system downtime is outweighed
by the increased cost (upfront and running), complexity, and raised
failure frequency of deploying RAID. Everyone's mileage varies, of
course.

--
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.

👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland
✎	 jmtd@debian.org
🔗	https://jmtd.net