Re: Homebuilt NAS Advice

On 8/6/2020 8:12 PM, deloptes wrote:

I don't know from which universe you came here, honestly :D, sorry, I don't
mean to hurt you ...

You would find that quite impossible. I would never be upset over a simple disagreement. Or a complex one, for that matter. Any forum without disagreement is useless. That very last thing I ever want around me is a bunch of "yes" men.

it is just (lets say) some untraditional thinking.

Your point here totally escapes me. I started working with computers in 1974. Computers, let alone personal computers, were anything but traditional at that point. "Tradition" is nothing but a synonym for stagnation, ineffectiveness, and inefficiency. Anyone who thinks traditionally isn't really thinking.

You must know that this is a public list that stays in the memory of the
Earths internet for long time.

It exists in cold storage, not so much in memory. Unless the post is very memorable, only a figurative handful of people will remember it more than a week, if that. Very few people go back and read archived messages in the list.

Come on. Be honest. How many messages in this or any other forum can you specifically remember from a year ago? When was the last time you read a post more than a year old? My servers have a permanent and non-volatile memory (thank heavens), but I don't, and neither does the average Debian user.

The questions here should have suitable answers. This is the only motivation
I write to this thread. Not that someone reads this and thinks those debian

Personally, I don't walk around with anything - not even a laptop, but an external enclosure such as the following can easily fit in a backpack, a large laptop case, or a camera bag.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711L68MS/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

It's not even 5' in diameter and barely 6" long. The non-RAID version is $51. The version with built-in RAID is $90.

> users are all freaks and if you see someone walking around with a pack > of external drives, must have read this thread.

You keep saying "pack of drives", or "bunch of disks". An external enclosure is no larger in volume than many laptops, and much, much smaller than the load of books I carried around in college. The one above is smaller than a box of tissues and not much bigger than the cell phone I carried around for nearly ten years.

If I were one to use a laptop - which I most certainly do not - I wouldn't carry the array around, however. It would sit either at home or at work (one and the same, for me) and I would access it through the internet.