Re: aptitude why (Was: Re: After software update systemd runs into timeouts)

On 2020-08-06 at 07:24, Dan Ritter wrote:

> Urs Thuermann wrote:
>
>> $ aptitude why libpam-systemd
>> i   systemd Recommends libpam-systemd
>> $ aptitude why policykit-1 libpam-systemd
>> i A policykit-1 Depends libpam-systemd
>>
>> But now I see reason: policykit-1 is also installed only because
>> virt-manager *recommends* libvirt-daemon-system which depends on
>> policykit-1:
>>
>> $ aptitude why virt-manager libpam-systemd
>> i   virt-manager          Recommends libvirt-daemon-system (>= 1.2.7)
>> i A libvirt-daemon-system Depends    policykit-1
>> i A policykit-1           Depends    libpam-systemd
>>
>> But since that chain is longer, aptitude shows the recommendation of
>> systemd.  In the output of aptitude purge in my other mail I hadn't
>> realized that libvirt-daemon-system is also only automatically
>> installed.
>
> Interesting bit here: libvirt-daemon-system supplies the startup
> scripts for libvirtd, both sysvinit style and systemd style. It
> has no other function.
>
> If you want to use sysvinit *and* libvirtd, you either need to
> write your own scripts or extract them from the .deb and not
> install it, because the Depends will end up installing
> systemd-sysv and thus replacing init.
>
> libvirt-daemon-system ought to be two packages, or the sysvinit
> scripts ought to be included with libvirt-daemon.

At a glance, I'd guess that
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=897936 and/or
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=765448 may be
relevant.

#765448 may not be valid anymore; although libvirt-daemon-system still
depends on policykit-1, policykit-1 now depends not on libpam-systemd
(thereby bringing in systemd-as-the-init-system) but on 'default-logind
| logind', which means that elogind can satisfy the requirement under
sysvinit.

Indeed, 'apt-get --dry-run install libvirt-daemon-system' on current
testing on a machine running sysvinit (and with one type or another of
blacklist on libpam-systemd) attempts to install elogind and
libvirt-daemon-system-sysv, and does not bring in anything directly
systemd-related at all as far as I can see. As such, #765488 should
probably be updated, because the specific statement it gives does not
seem to be true anymore.

So the question on my end now becomes whether installing elogind causes
the negative symptoms which I barely even remember anymore from when I
was trying out libpam-systemd via systemd-shim - and I think I'm willing
to try the experiment and find out, in the hope of possibly being once
again able to actually run VMs on this machine without having to manage
them manually. The biggest downside seems to be the need to carefully
specify packages at install time to avoid having some packages
unnecessarily removed during the transition from libsystemd0 to
libelogind0, but I think I've navigated that without troubles.

(#897936 seems to still be valid, at least insofar as this information
changes anything. I still hope for a fix, since I'd prefer not to have a
logind running on my system at all, whether provided via systemd or
not.)

> In unstable, it becomes two packages.

In testing, too, as far as I can tell.

--