Re: SANE default scanner

On Tue 28 Jul 2020 at 09:56:20 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> > And the fact that hpaio relies on CUPS is inexcusable.
>
> I don't see why: first, AFAICT it is still fully functional without
> CUPS, and the fact that it tries to make use of CUPS's config
> information in order to overcome specifically the problem you're in is
> not dangerous.  It's kind of hackish but I can't see any situation where
> it would harm any(think|one), so I'm not sure why you'd find
> it inexcusable.

There are two ideas expressed here:

1. ... first, AFAICT it is still fully functional without  CUPS ...

   That's quite correct and has been clearly demonstrated to be the case.

   Any idea that libsane-hpaio relies on CUPS is without any basis.

2. ... the fact that it tries to make use of CUPS's config information
   in order to overcome specifically the problem you're in is not
   dangerous.

   libsane-hpaio does not use or attempt use any aspect of CUPS' config.
   It has nothing to overcome. If we were to explore what the HPLIP
   hp-setup and hp-makeurl utilities do when CUPS is on the system, we
   could have a different conversation. But that has nothing to do with
   libsane-hpaio.

> > There is no doubt it can be done. I just doubt it will.
>
> Maybe if you write a patch and submit it along with your
> bug-report/feature-request there's more chance it will?
> And if you can't do it yourself, why not pay someone to do it for you?

Dream on. The submitted bogus bug reports are where we end. Nicolas
George will hopefully eventually cotton on.

> Also, maybe if you stop accusing people of incompetence or gross
> negligence (which is what "inexcusable" and "design mistake" evokes for
> me), they'll be more accommodating?

You are asking a leopard to change its spots.

--
brian.