Re: SANE default scanner

>> That's the kind of reason why I don't like using printer's own network
>> facilities and prefer to connect them over USB to a local GNU/Linux
>> server which can then share them over CUPS&SANE.
> There will be no computer close enough to the printer to do the job.

Indeed, it's not always a convenient option.
For me, the BananaPi homeserver was within reach of a USB cable, so it
was a no-brainer.

> And if you are suggesting I should buy a device, even an inexpensive

Definitely not.  The ecological impact of a new device dwarfs any of the
potential benefits.

>> It also has the side benefit that sleeping while connected via USB tends
>> to consume significantly less power than sleeping while connected via the
>> wifi network (can't remember what the numbers look like for ethernet).
>> The difference can be sufficient to power a BananaPi ;-)
> Have you considered turning the printer off and disconnecting it from
> the power mains with an external switch?

I could live with it, yes, but my wife expects the printer to "just
work", so it has to pretend it's always on.

> Well, in between explaining why all the answers I got do not match the
> question, I RTFS, and it seems indeed it is not possible with SANE.

It's definitely possible with SANE.  But apparently not with `hpaio`.

> What stupid design.

Yeah, I wish they'd just used SANE instead of inventing their own wheel.

> As for the hpaio backend, it relies on CUPS to find networked printers,
> but CUPS will not be always running. What stupid design.

At least they do use CUPS instead of reinventing yet another wheel.

        Stefan