Re: SANE default scanner

Nicolas George [2020-07-27 23:49:59] wrote:
> Stefan Monnier (12020-07-27):
>> Indeed.  And given SANE's design, there shouldn't be much need for it:
>> it assumes that either the scanner is local (via a hardware-specific
>> driver, hpaio being one of them) or it's remotely accessed over the SANE
>> protocol, in which case it uses the DNS-SD protocol to find it.
>>
>> The problem is with scanner that are remote but using a "local driver"
>> (local to the client rather than local to the scanner).
>
> This is a sadly classic pattern in Libre software: "not my problem, it's
> the other project doing it wrong".

I'm not sure where you found assignment of blame in what I wrote.

> - The only way to have SANE-using applications see the scanner is that
>   hpaio detects it.

Apparently not 100% so since it works if you provide the URI explicitly.

> Both these points are design mistakes.

I can't see any reason why your request can't be satisfied by a fairly
simple change to the code (e.g. to read extra URIs from a local
configuration file in the client; better would be to be able to read
this info from something like the DNS), with no need for any kind of
redesign.  So it seems like a simple missing feature.
I haven't looked enough at the code to be sure this can be done easily,
but if it can then it shows it's not a design problem.  Just yet another
missing feature.

        Stefan