Re: SANE default scanner

Stefan Monnier (12020-07-27):
> That's the kind of reason why I don't like using printer's own network
> facilities and prefer to connect them over USB to a local GNU/Linux
> server which can then share them over CUPS&SANE.

There will be no computer close enough to the printer to do the job.

And if you are suggesting I should buy a device, even an inexpensive
one, for something that should be done with just a line in a config
file, please think again.

> It also has the side benefit that sleeping while connected via USB tends
> to consume significantly less power than sleeping while connected via the
> wifi network (can't remember what the numbers look like for ethernet).
> The difference can be sufficient to power a BananaPi ;-)

Have you considered turning the printer off and disconnecting it from
the power mains with an external switch?

Well, in between explaining why all the answers I got do not match the
question, I RTFS, and it seems indeed it is not possible with SANE. What
stupid design.

As for the hpaio backend, it relies on CUPS to find networked printers,
but CUPS will not be always running. What stupid design.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George