Re: SANE default scanner

>> It's definitely possible with SANE.  But apparently not with `hpaio`.
> I insist: it is not possible with SANE to specify a list of extra
> scanners.

Indeed.  And given SANE's design, there shouldn't be much need for it:
it assumes that either the scanner is local (via a hardware-specific
driver, hpaio being one of them) or it's remotely accessed over the SANE
protocol, in which case it uses the DNS-SD protocol to find it.

The problem is with scanner that are remote but using a "local driver"
(local to the client rather than local to the scanner).

I suggest you open a feature request on the SANE's issue tracker.
Who knows, maybe this can even be solved already by somehow tweaking the
DNS server to advertize your hpaio device?

        Stefan