Re: SANE default scanner

Stefan Monnier (12020-07-27):
> >> The problem is with scanner that are

> I'm not sure where you found assignment of blame in what I wrote.

"The problem is" is an assignment of technical blame.

> Apparently not 100% so since it works if you provide the URI explicitly.

Most applications do not allow to specify an arbitrary scanner URL.

> I can't see any reason why your request can't be satisfied by a fairly
> simple change to the code (e.g. to read extra URIs from a local
> configuration file in the client; better would be to be able to read
> this info from something like the DNS), with no need for any kind of
> redesign.  So it seems like a simple missing feature.
> I haven't looked enough at the code to be sure this can be done easily,
> but if it can then it shows it's not a design problem.  Just yet another
> missing feature.

The fact that this option did not exist first and before probing is what
I call a design mistake.

And the fact that hpaio relies on CUPS is inexcusable.

There is no doubt it can be done. I just doubt it will.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George