Re: SANE default scanner

Stefan Monnier (12020-07-27):
> Indeed.  And given SANE's design, there shouldn't be much need for it:
> it assumes that either the scanner is local (via a hardware-specific
> driver, hpaio being one of them) or it's remotely accessed over the SANE
> protocol, in which case it uses the DNS-SD protocol to find it.
>
> The problem is with scanner that are remote but using a "local driver"
> (local to the client rather than local to the scanner).

This is a sadly classic pattern in Libre software: "not my problem, it's
the other project doing it wrong".

Sorry guys, you're BOTH doing it wrong:

hpaio, you should not rely on a print server to detect scanners, even if
you're made by a company that first came to this business through
printers.

SANE, since you accept third-party back-ends, you should assume some
will get it wrong and have workarounds ready.

> I suggest you open a feature request on the SANE's issue tracker.

Already did. And to hplip too.

> Who knows, maybe this can even be solved already by somehow tweaking the
> DNS server to advertize your hpaio device?

No, it can't, that's pretty obvious looking at the source code:

- The only way to have SANE-using applications see the scanner is that
  hpaio detects it.

- The only way to have hpaio detect the scanner is to have CUPS running,
  the corresponding printer configured and hpaio allowed to connect to
  it.

Both these points are design mistakes.

Regards,

--